Match Reports‎ > ‎

Injury Time Free Sends Kildysart to Semi-final

posted 8 Sep 2014, 04:08 by Patricia Donnellan   [ updated 8 Sep 2014, 05:36 ]
06/09/14:  Kildysart Intermediate team are through to face Wolfetones in Championship semi-final after their 2nd playoff match ended with Added Extra Time.  This time Kildysart took full advantage of AET and pulled ahead of Kilmihil to win 0-24 to 3-12.  All this was only possible thanks to a steely Kieran Eyres who converted a long range 45' deep into injury time to send the match into extra time. Full time score: Kildysart 17 points to Kilmihil's 2-11.

Ger Kelly got the two opening points for Kildysart to the delight of the large Kildysart crowd in attendance.  Kilmihil responded with 4 unanswered points to lead 4-2 with 10 minutes remaining in the half.  Then John Murtagh's point was the first of 6 unanswered points which broke Kilmihil's momentum.  Ger Kelly continued to demonstrate his scoring prowess by knocking 3 more over the bar to put Kildysart up 6 points to 4.  A brace of points each from Kieran Eyres & Ger Kelly cemented Kildysart's lead at the interval 10 points to 4.

Kilmihil came out determined in the second half to take control of the game narrowing the gap to 10 points to 8 in the first ten minutes.  Scores from Keith O'Connor and Brian O'Sullivan gave Kildysart some space but then Kilmihil's goal at the start of the last quarter left only 1 between the sides. Kieran Eyres's point gave the Blues a bit more space but Kilmihil struck for their second goal to put them in the lead for the first time in 30 minutes. Kilmihil followed up with 2 more points to lead by a goal: Kildysart 13 points, Kilmihil 2-10 with four minutes remaining.  Captain John Ginnane steadied the ship with a point only to be countered by another from Kilmihil with only 2 minutes remaining.  Next, Kildysart got the benefit of a combination of youth and experience when 2 more points from the boot of Ger Kelly brought them to within 1 deep into injury time.  Then, Kildysart were awarded a 45' on the far side of the pitch. Kieran Eyres steadied himself and struck - the crowd held its collective breath.  Hawkeye was not required however, as the equaliser sailed through the posts.  It was a point just as worthy as anyone would see in Croke Park.  Kildysart's sheer determination saw them draw level with the full time score Kildysart 17 and Kilmihil 2-11.

Kildysart were stunned with Kilmihil struck for their 3rd goal in the first minute of added time.  However, Kildysart weren't giving up and fired back with points from Neil O'Connor, 3 more from Ger Kelly and another from the experienced impact sub Noel O'Grady.  This gave the Blues the lead at the added time break 22 points to 3-11.  Keith O'Connor and Ger Kelly pointed in the opening minute of the last period to give Kildysart some breathing space and a 4 point lead.  There was plenty of action but no scores over the remaining 9 minutes with Kimilhil only able to produce a free in the 81st minute.  Kildysart hung on and are worthy of their spot in the semi-final.  Best for Kildysart: Ger Kelly, Damian Hill, Neil O'Connor, Brian Eyres, David McMahon, Shane McNelis

Team: Liam Griffin, Tony McMahon, David McMahon, Rory McMahon, Brian Eyres, Shane McNelis, Damian Hill, Neil O'Connor (0-1), Keith O'Connor (0-1), John Ginnane (0-1), Brian O'Sullivan (0-1), Kieran Eyres (0-5), Ger Kelly (0-13), Christy Clancy, John Murtagh (0-1). Subs: Kieran Leahy, Noel O'Grady (0-1), Brian Moloney.